Saturday, September 27, 2014

easy as pie

So I decided to take a quick trip to Target earlier this week, for reasons now that I can't even remember. I went in with a list, and had every intention of grabbing groceries for the week, and instead only made it out with dish soap. Well, not only dish soap. The rest of my bags were filled with things that definitely weren't on my list. It's inevitable, really. I mean, we're talking about Target here.

Let me paint a picture for you. I was strolling along, pushing a somewhat rickety basket, (it was actually quite annoying) and all of a sudden as I'm about to head down an isle containing an item I actually went for, I saw the most adorable pie pan. I just couldn't help myself, and in my mind I HAD to have this one. You see, before stumbling upon this treasure, I didn't have a pie pan. And how am I supposed to bake pie this holiday season without one? See how well I justified? lol

So today I'm going to share with you the easiest of pies. Honestly, you can just follow the recipe on the back of the pumpkin can, but in my mind, (and my mother's) it tastes way better with a little addition and a few eliminations.

Here's what you'll need:



















- the world's cutest pie pan (I'm sorry, I'm obsessed)
- 1 can of 100% pure pumpkin (15oz)
- 1 can of evaporated milk (12oz)
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (plus some to sprinkle on top if you'd like)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp. vanilla (I use Mexican Vanilla, yumm yumm)
- 1 unbaked pie crust (pre-made or the fancy Pillsbury kind)


The thing that makes this recipe different from the can, is VANILLA (I swear it makes a HUGE difference) and the absence of spices like ginger and clove. I'm personally not a huge fan of these spices, if they're something you enjoy feel free to add them :) but cinnamon is so so easy, and is commonly found in most pantries already!

First, preheat your oven to 350 degree (the can will tell you to preheat your oven to 425 degrees and after 15 minutes of baking, reduce to 350 for the rest of baking time, but I found this cooked my crust too quickly as you'll see)

Next you'll want to mix up your dry ingredients (cinnamon, salt, and sugar) in a separate bowl.


















And beat your eggs in another large bowl.



While your eggs are beating, this is a good time to prep your pie pan if you're using a pre-refrigerated crust. Just roll it on out and into your pan. Press it down and VOILA!



Once your eggs are done beating, add your can of pumpkin, then those dry ingredients, and then lastly, gradually stir in your evaporated milk (I did all of my mixing on a relatively low-med speed)

Then just pour your mixture into your pan and pop it into the oven for 50-60 minutes :) It's honestly something you'll have to eyeball since everything bakes differently depending on your oven and elevation. Your pie is done when the filling is firm and a knife will come out clean from the middle.

Once out of the oven, let cool for about an hour, and then cover and put into the fridge before serving! I find it to taste better and serve easier once it's been chilled...but not everyone will be so patient, hehe (if serving warm, of course add some Bluebell vanilla) 

I actually made my pie pretty late at night, and waited until morning to cut into it....

...which resulted in me having a piece with my morning coffee for breakfast. I have no shame. :D


Well, that's all for now, y'all! Give this recipe a whirl and let me know what ya think! I know my roommates and house guests have definitely enjoyed it so far :) 

Thanks for reading.

-AMB










2 comments:

  1. Alyssa -

    I LOVE the pie pan as well --- It is EVERYTHING!

    I have a colleague who is obsessed with pumpkin pie and the funny thing is I grew up in a family of Sweet Potato Pie lovers. I don't eat it and believe I am the only black woman on earth who doesn't. LOL

    He is my total opposite in many ways and this would be a great way to show him how much I appreciate his friendship. But, he will also expect homemade whipped cream for it!

    Thanks for the recipe and gentle reminder to do something special for my work BFF this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good! thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

family > everything

I haven't made a post in ages, (and hopefully I'll get back to blogging soon) but I've been thinking about this a lot lately, an...